If you haven’t been hiding under a rock, you’ll know that the 7th season of Game Of Thrones recently came to a close.
But at MoneyStrands we just can’t stop thinking about it – and the truth is, Game of Thrones has more to teach us about personal finance and business life than we might think. There is great insight to be learned from some classic Game of Thrones lines.
So we decided to write a round-up of the most spectacular money and business quotes from Game of Thrones that we could find.
(Warning: possible spoilers ahead!)
1. “A Lannister always pays his debts.” – Lannister House
The Lannister house is famously and traditionally rich.
Their official motto, in line with their lion rampant heraldry, is “hear me roar!” but far better known is their unofficial motto of “a Lannister always pays his debts.”
And so should you.
Paying debt is so crucial yet so challenging – especially if you’re a recent grad in the U.S. But it doesn’t have to stop you from living a debt-free life.
2. “Winter is coming.” – Ned Stark
“Winter is coming” is the ominous warning repeatedly from the inhabitants of Westeros, especially those living in the north.
Instead of years of cold or White Walkers, we face unpredictable expenses and that’s why we need to create an ‘emergency fund’.
Winter is always looming, call it home and car repairs, or a basement flooding. This is one of the Game of Thrones quotes you should always anticipate.
So when Winter does come, make sure you’re prepared.
3. “I did warn you not to trust me.” – Petyr Baelish
Remember the Red Wedding? And Jon Snow’s ambiguous death?
Trusting the wrong people can cost you your life. And trusting the wrong financial planner can cost you your whole life’s savings.
In this interview with CFP® Natalie Bacon, she uncovered the benefits of hiring the right financial planner and explained who you should trust with your money.
4. “A man who says I am the king is no true king.”– Tywin Lannister
Which basically means:
Fake people have an image to maintain, real people just don’t care.
As a money quote and in monetary terms, the moral is “don’t go broke trying to look rich.”
5. “Don’t be so sure. Safety is never a permanent state of affairs.” – Davos Seaworth
Davos said something very Davos-y, wise-sounding and valid here: “Safety is never a permanent state of affairs”.
Safety often means stability, which is the opposite of change.
And while is certain that change can be scary because it’s usually associated with some level of risk (and there are no guarantees with risk) – it’s unavoidable and necessary.
That’s why your attitude and ability to adapt are key if you’re serious about being good at managing your money and your career.
6. “A lion doesn’t concern itself with the opinion of sheep.” – Tywin Lannister.
If you’re on the mission to improve your finances, chances are that everybody around you will have an opinion: pay yourself first, don’t go into this kind or this-other-kind of debt…
Make sure to check the background of these people, and decide if their words match their actions and their success in life.
7. “The brave men did not kill dragons. The brave men rode them.” – Daenerys Targaryen
Difficult situations are an inevitable.
Daenerys Targaryen reminds us that everybody fears failure, and she’s right.
Wars may be unfair and full of terrors, but the most successful people in the world learn to conquer their fears and navigate their difficulties.
8. “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to harm you.” – Tyrion Lannister
This gem comes when Jon Snow defensively asks what the hell Tyrion knows about being a bastard.
Like the quote above says, don’t let any difficulties stop you: especially when it comes to money.
So rather than letting it control you, use it wisely as your tool to achieve freedom: face your numbers and know where you stand, track your expenses, create budgets, set saving goals and think of an accurate plan to follow.
9. “Chaos is a ladder.” – Petyr Baelish
Here’s another pearl of wisdom from Littlefinger.
He’s a man who is extremely similar to Varys and carries the same ambition and goals.
To him, a world where chaos exists is the only way to rise up and achieve what he wants. This applies both to economic ups and downs and companies’ crisis.
That said, you should consider if it’s really worth achieving power by abandoning those you love, forgetting your morality, and focusing only on the climb.
10. “The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling.” – Lord Varys
If Lord Varys was an investor, he’d probably follow Warren Buffett’s advice.
When it comes to quotes on money management, this one is ideal, because, in long-term investing, patience is essential.
As Warren Buffett puts it “Investing is like planting a tree — nothing happens overnight. Investing is robust enough that, as long as you are patient and diligent, the good will far, far outweigh the mistakes and misfortunes.”
A final note
So, there you have it! These great quotes about money should help guide you.
Even if you haven’t seen the series, you can still put these financial takeaways from Game Of Thrones to good use:
- “A Lannister always pays his debts.” – Lannister House
- “Winter is coming.” – Ned Stark
- “I did warn you not to trust me.” – Petyr Baelish
- “A man who says I am the king is no true king.”– Tywin Lannister
- “Don’t be so sure. Safety is never a permanent state of affairs.” – Davos Seaworth
- “A lion doesn’t concern itself with the opinion of sheep.” – Tywin Lannister.
- “The brave men did not kill dragons. The brave men rode them.” – Daenerys Targaryen
- “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to harm you.” – Tyrion Lannister
- “Chaos is a ladder.” – Petyr Baelish
- “The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling.”– Lord Varys
Are there any other great money and business quotes from Game of Thrones that we missed? Let us know in the comments below.
Seven Blessings to you all!
Download MoneyStrands for free: